Great Britain poundThe Great Britain pound weakened against the Japanese yen and slowed its advance versus the US dollar after the report showed the UK economy grew with slower pace in the second quarter.
The revised figure for growth of UK gross domestic product in the second quarter of 2011 was 0.2 percent, the same as in the preliminary estimate. It indicates slower expansion, compared to 0.5 percent growth in the first quarter. The report also mentioned that several special events affected Britain’s economy in Q2: the additional April public holiday, the royal wedding and the aftereffects of the Japanese tsunami.
GBP/JPY fell from 126.12 to 125.68 today as of 9:24 GMT and touched the daily low of 125.41 earlier. GBP/USD climbed from 1.6278 to 1.6332.
If you have any questions, comments or opinions regarding the Great Britain Pound, feel free to post them using the commentary form below.
Earlier News About the Great Britain Pound:
* GBP Falls vs. EUR with Consumer Confidence & Retail Sales (2011-08-25)
* Pound Rises as Inflation Accelerates (2011-08-16)
* Osborne Refuses Review Spending Cuts, Boosting Pound (2011-08-12)
* Pound Drops with Higher Trade Deficit (2011-08-09)
* Pound Weakens on Worsening Consumer Sentiment (2011-07-21)